Close this search box.

B Visa Public School Warning

B Visa Public School WarningThis B visa public school warning is all about knowing who to trust. The first thing you need to know is that you cannot trust a public school to reject a child! Even if enrolling the child means violating his or her visa status, a public school will admit any child whose parents live in the area.

B Visa & School Enrollment

If the parents are in the U.S. on a B-1 or B-2 tourist visa, then the children will have the same status. If the child goes to school with only a B-1 or B-2 visa (before receiving the proper F or M status) they will violate their status. This could affect the eligibility of the children and parents to get a nonimmigration visa in the future.

Violators of the B Visa are not eligible to extend their time in the U.S. under B status or to change their status to F or M. So if you are in B-1 or B-2 nonimmigration status and you have school-age children, keep them out of school! It sounds like a ridiculous request, but it is well-reasoned.

Before You Enroll

Before you enroll them in school obtain the proper nonimmigration status for students, either an F-1 or an M-1. It may take time to process the adjustment of status, so the children could keep attending school in their home country or you could give them an extended vacation — they won’t complain!

Before you enroll in classes, contact Boyer Law Firm. We will apply for the proper status to ensure your kids get the great education they need and deserve. If you have already enrolled in classes, it’s not too late. You still have other options. Boyer Law Firm can assist you in applying for an F-1 or M-1 visa from a consular post and can handle the specialized proceedings that come along with applying after a violation.

Share This:

Call Now