Close this search box.

How an L-1 Manager Can Apply for a Green Card

How an L-1 Manager can apply for a green cardWhat is an L-1 Visa? In this article I explain what an L-1 Visa is, who qualifies for it, and how an L-1 manager can apply for a green card (permanent residency).

The L-1 Visa allows non-U.S. companies to set up operations in the United States and send a manager, executive, or person with “specialized knowledge” to work at that location. The L-1 Visa is great for a chain company that wants to transfer employees from overseas to a U.S. location. It is also good for a small company that wants to expand and set up an office in the U.S. and hire employees to run the new location.

The L-1A Visa is used to transfer a senior manager or executive. It cannot be used to transfer a lower level manager or an executive with limited duties. The transferee should be in charge of major decisions for running the U.S. location, like hiring and firing. T

How can an L1A manager obtain a green card and establish permanent residency in the U.S.?

The L-1A visa is a non-immigrant category for temporary workers that is good for up to 7 years, including all possible extensions. After (or during) these 7 years, the L-1A visa holder who wishes to stay in the U.S. permanently and continue to work may apply for a green card.

What is a green card? A green card is a permanent residency card, which allows you to live and work in U.S. without any limits, except that the green card holder must stay in the U.S. for at least 6 months and 1 days out of the year.

What type of green card should an L-1A visa holder apply for? The EB-1C green card. The EB-1C green card is for the L-1A visa employee who has worked at a U.S. business or office location in a managerial or executive capacity and who has managed the operations of the U.S. office for at least one year.

To obtain the EB-1C green card, the employer of the L-1A transferred employee must file the petition for foreign worker Form I-140. After the EB-1C petition is approved, the worker can then apply for an adjustment of status. If the worker is still in the U.S. working under the L-1A visa, then the adjustment of status is filed in the U.S., not overseas.

Once the worker obtains the EB-1C green card, then family members can immediately apply for their green card as well based on the worker’s EB-1C green card.

If you would like help applying for an EB-1C green card or an L1 visa or if you have any questions about the U.S. immigration process, please feel free to contact one of our experienced U.S. immigration attorneys today!

Share This:

Call Now