Close this search box.

How Syria Could Affect Your U.S. Immigration Visa Application

U.S. immigration visaIf you are interested in applying for a U.S. immigration visa, then NOW is the time to do so. Potential upcoming changes to immigration law could delay the application and decision making process, forcing you to wait longer and potentially have to meet greater requirements to obtain a visa in the future.

The current civil war in Syria and the participation of Europeans may result in a direct cause of this U.S. immigration reform. President Obama warned that Europeans who embrace jihad in Syria and Iraq threaten the United States because “their passports mean they can enter the country,” according to Yahoo! News.

The article stated that nearly 800 French citizens have spent time fighting in Syria’s civil war, Belgium says that 200 of its citizens have participated, and Britain states that 400 of its citizens have participated.

At the current time, citizens of France, Belgium, and Britain can enter the United States without a visa through an ESTA visa waiver program. These statement by President Obama indicate that this visa waiver program may not be available in the future.

Citizens from countries from such as France, Belgium, and Britain have the option of applying for a “B-visa,” or visitors’ visa, to enter the U.S. A person who holds a B-visa may stay visit the United States for up to six (6) months out of the year for the duration of their B-visa.

B-visas may be granted for a period of one year, five years, or ten years at the discretion of the issuing authority, which is usually the U.S. Consulate in the applicant’s home country.

If you are interested in visiting the United States in the next few years, then it is a good idea to preemptively apply for a B-visa before there is an influx of applicants, which will most likely happen if the ESTA visa waiver program is cancelled or faded out.

The result of a rise in visa applications will delay not only the processing of B-visas, but of other U.S. immigration visas as well. If you want to come to the United States to visit, live, or do business, then you should contact a U.S. Immigration Attorney today to discuss your options.

Share This:

Call Now