Close this search box.

US Tax Deadline for Resident Alien Living Overseas

US Tax Deadline for Resident Alien Living OverseasIf you are a US citizen, green card holder, or in the military (on duty) residing outside the United States and you have earned income in the United States for the year 2017, you are required to declare such income in the United States.

The normal filing deadline of April 15, 2018 is automatically extended by two months for those residing outside the United States. If you are in this situation, you must file your tax return by June 15, 2018.

The mere fact of having already submitted your return in the country of your current residence, or even having already paid that country’s tax obligation, does not exempt you from this US tax return requirement.

To avoid situations of double taxation, the United States has entered into bilateral agreements with many countries on tax matters. These agreements provide for the reporting and taxation of US Citizens normally liable to pay taxes both in the United States and other countries. The amount of US tax owed will reflect the amount paid or declared in other countries bound by this bilateral agreement. Thanks to this system, it is possible you would not have to pay any US taxes.

Any delay in payment will result in interest charges on any unpaid tax amount. So, don’t procrastinate!

If you are unable to file your return by the June 15, 2018 deadline, you can request an additional extension to October 15 by filing Form 4868, before June 15. Meet with an international tax lawyer to make sure you complete your tax return correctly.

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien (Green Card Holder), or military (on duty) and you live in a foreign country, mail your U.S. tax return to:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215

Tax payments should be mailed along with Form 1040-ES to:

Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 1300
Charlotte, NC 28201-1300

Share This:

Call Now